Saturday, May 22, 2010

"I am Hutterite" by Mary-Ann Kirkby

“I Am Hutterite” is published by Thomas Nelson in 2010 and written by Mary-Ann Kirkby, This novel is catalogued as a biography / autobiography. This composition has an ISBN 978-0-8499-4810-7 and a list price of $19.99 USD.
The author, Mary-Ann Kirkby recounts her time within the Hutterite colony as a child. She paints a powerful picture of the lives of the individuals that have impacted her during this impressionable stage. Ms. Kirkby allows us to understand the decisions made by the Hutterite in their chosen approach to life. We are permitted an in-depth look at the clothing, relationships and religious passion that makes up the colony. In order for this detailed examination, Ms. Kirkby exposes her inner most fears and joys in a passionate fashion that creates a bond between the reader and the author. We are able to picture not only of the depiction mentally but physically as well.
This novel answers the questions that I have had in regards to the Hutterites. While I find it disturbing in places on how different their lives are from conventional society, I find it a breath of fresh air to know that the same difficulties arise in their lives as in the lives of what is considered a typical lifestyle.
This book was provided to me by Thomas Nelson's book sneeze program.

1 comment:

  1. Good, honest review. If you knew any Hutterites personally you'd likely conclude that we are just like the average person you run too. We have our struggles and victories like every society and any church. I have my personal review of his book posted on my blog. Check it out if you find the time. I was born and raised in a Hutterite colony. I'd like to believe that, as Christians, we are all aiming for that heavenly goal...no matter who and where you are...

    http://blogs.allhutterites.com/lightofevenstar/

    ReplyDelete